RYA GMDSS VHF Short Range Certificate Marine Radio Course
The Short Range Certificate is the qualification required by law if you operate a VHF radio fitted with Digital Selective Calling (DSC) on any British vessel voluntarily fitted with a radio. This course form part of the under 16.5m Skippers Ticket, which the MCA intends to make mandatory.
Tuition fee: £200 + £60 RYA license fee (funding subject to eligibility)
Thanks to support from the Department for Transport and the European Maritime Fisheries Fund, Seafish is currently able to fund the tuition fees for this course for experienced fishermen, providing they hold certificates in Sea Survival, First Aid, Fire Fighting and Safety Awareness.
Other fees and requirements:
£60 RYA Licence fee (funding subject to eligibility)
Passport size photo with candidates name on the back
The course will be taught using radio simulators and will cover the following topics.
• The basics of radio operation
• The correct frequencies (channels) to be used
• Distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
• Making ship to shore telephone calls
• Digital Selective Calling (DSC) using simulators
• Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
• Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
• Search and Rescue (SART)
Short written test at the end of the day
Certificates will be sent directly to candidates by the RYA on successful completion of the exam.